Piers Morgans Good Morning Britain spot axed after staff threatened a walkout

Get the best celeb gossip with the Daily Star Showbiz newsletter

Piers Morgan's appearance on ITV show Lorraine came after Good Morning Britain staff planned a boycott on hearing that he could be making a return to the news programme.

The team learned the former GMB host, 57, had originally been lined up to return as a guest in order to promote his new series.

But staff warned they would "down tools" if this turned out to be the case. ITV bosses compromised and scheduled an appearance for Piers on Lorraine Kelly's show instead.

His original stint on Good Morning Britain came to an abrupt end when he stormed off the set during a row with weather presenter Alex Beresford, 41, over Meghan Markle.

One insider commented to The Mirror: "Piers has made it quite clear what he thinks of GMB since he flounced out.

"So it's no surprise there are some who felt reluctant to promote his new gig and threatened to stop working if he came on. There's also a lot of loyalty for Alex," they said.

ITV bosses axed Piers from Good Morning Britain after he refused to apologise for the comments he made about Meghan during the spat with Alex.

Viewers were left furious when he claimed he didn't believe Meghan Markle had been feeling suicidal.

Piers has maintained that it was his decision to walk out, as a way of avoiding "slapping" Alex.

Sources from ITV played down the threats of a boycott and claimed it was an "editorial decision" to have the former GMB host on Lorraine.

The journalist's guest spot was planned a way of promoting his new show, Piers Morgan Uncensored, which launched on Monday night on TalkTv. The interview featured a premiere with Donald Trump.

Piers claimed he has attempted to reconcile with Meghan Markle by inviting her to a sit-down interview with him on his new series. He made the suggestion on the Diary of a CEO podcast.

The presenter said that while he doesn't wish her or Prince Harry any "harm", he would ask her "difficult" questions if he was given the opportunity to interview her.

He said: "If she did an interview like this with me, it'd be very interesting. Meghan Markle to me has lost all sense of reality about life."

Prince Harry and Meghan were interviewed by talk-show host Oprah last march about their split from the Royal Family, with Meghan sharing she had suffered "suicidal thoughts" and alleged that she was denied help from the Royal family.

Harry made the claim that his father and brother, Prince Charles and William, are "trapped" in the institution of the monarchy.

Piers elaborated: "In answer to [the] original question; let's do an interview Meghan. Let me put [my] questions to you and [you] answer some difficult questions."

The Daily Star has approached ITV for comment.

For more of the latest showbiz news from Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

  • Piers Morgan

Source: Read Full Article