A mum was cruelly shamed recently after sharing a photo of her two-year-old child's packed lunch box.
The woman took to a Facebook group for parents to post the snap, but she probably wasn't expecting such a harsh reaction from fellow mums and dads.
The snap showed a bird’s eye view of the lunchbox, which featured various compartments of tasty snacks.
In the box was apple slices, raisins, pretzel sticks, mixed nuts and pigs in a blanket with shredded cheese.
While some parents were quick to comment positively and said the lunch was "awesome", others criticised her leaving angry comments on the post.
" Food looks great and nut butters are great but whole nuts for a two-year-old is extremely dangerous," one person wrote.
Another Facebook user added: "Looks good I wouldn’t recommend peanuts under three years old, but it’s what you’re comfortable with.
"Peanuts are always a risk of the choking hazard doesn’t matter what age you are."
And a third said: "It’s really annoying to see parents not seeing the real risk or thinking it will never happen to them."
Kind strangers chip in to make sure kids don't go without presents at Christmas
Perhaps they felt so frustrated because an analysis of government data by first aid specialists CE Safety found that in the four years leading up to 2019, there were 1,571 deaths caused by choking on food or small objects.
Of those deaths, 14 were children under the age of five – while around 40 kids are rushed to hospital every day after swallowing something dangerous.
Young children are particularly vulnerable if they do not have teeth, are still learning to chew or if their swallow reflex is still developing.
To prevent this, the NHS has advised that food items such as grapes and tomatoes should be cut in half lengthways – and ideally into quarters.
Hot dogs, which are perfectly circular at the top, should also be cut in half lengthways where possible.
It is important to note, that if you are only cutting fruits in half, it must be lengthways so that they are not still perfectly round on one side.
CAPT wrote on their website: “Doctors are worried that a lack of awareness among parents, carers and professionals could be leaving young children at risk.”
Source: Read Full Article